tHE Review: Precious


An excellent production the movie was well designed, produced, and written. Although the likelihood of a person experiencing such tremendous misfortune is small in comparison to those who will teeter on the brink of this type of social and emotional destruction; the move kept me engrossed and did an excellent job of pulling the viewer into the situation. I think the biggest disappointment is that while the movie moved people… I fear it did not move people… it was impossible to not feel sorrow and disgust… but what I hoped that people could acknowledge were the African American lesbian couple, the mental and emotional issues going unaddressed in the African American communities, and the programs that are working hard to provide alternative means of educational progress. While any accolades that this film receives, I duly believe it deserves, I would like to acknowledge the writer, producers, actors, and actresses for their willingness to take part in a movie with such purpose!

*I hate to do a disclaimer and this is not so much that… but people go straight into the “you a hater” mode when you disagree with the mainstream… so here is where I am coming from… I’m an artist… as an artist … I will never think my work is perfect… the way I judge good art… in the genre of theatrics… side note: art is subjective and judgment of it is so far from a scientific logic and that is why I in some ways disagree with award shows where artist are judged against each other… in the genre of theatrics… what I’m looking for in a good actor is someone who steps outside of their normal pre-established characteristics and provides a convincing performance… that persons ability to maintain that high level of performance throughout their career… and the ability to grow into other distinctive types of characters and yet still return to roles that are “typical” of their acting catalog… makes an actor/actress deserving of accolades… In simpler terms… a singer portraying a singer of their genre (even if from a different time period), or someone with aggressive tendencies acting as someone with aggressive tendencies does not translate as talent worthy of extraordinary artistic praise!

No comments: