TANGIBLE: INTANGIBLE

via APARTMENT THERAPY
I've got to figure out how to make my place this chic

I haven’t done an emini post in a while and so here goes… this past weekend I returned to my alma mater for homecoming and while walking around “club hopping” (if that’s what you want to call it we more so stood around outside a couple of places) we happen to walk into a lounge…

I’m pretty shy (gasp) and so my strategy is always to preoccupy myself when entering a place… I fidgeted with my cell phone as if I was uber busy …. Well as I aimlessly “busied myself” and followed closely behind my friends I heard a loud “LAQuuuuuuin!” I turned to be embraced by a familiar face… we paid each other compliments … she gushed over the shoulder pads of my dress and we chatted some more…I felt my friends walk back towards me and kind of stand back as me and the old friend chatted… I glanced around and noticed that I knew quite a few of the faces in the room … my friends quickly let me know they weren’t interested in hanging out at the venue… I said ok and followed them as we swiftly retreated back outside… and then the discussion…

a third party to our group who didn’t attend school with us questioned why we were leaving the venue … we had been walking around for a while and hadn’t found a budget friendly spot to visit and this place was packed and had no cover charge… after some chatting we walked around a corner and took a seat in a closed pizza shop… and then my friends made it clear… they didn’t want to hang out there because they didn’t want to spend the night being “quin’s friends” “third wheels”… I never knew my friends felt this way but if I looked at the signs I could have seen them a mile away…

I don’t peg myself to be the popular type but I do know lots of people, most people apparently think I’m likable and I like to think I’m a unique individual (lol) and I can relate to all types of people which makes fitting in or getting to know people pretty easy once I’m over my shyness… not to mention I’m a Gemini… I can’t lie when I reflect on my circle of friends now compared to my circle of friends when I first started college the ladies are quite different…

I began college with a group of pretty girls, interested in trendy fashion, greek life (super important at my college), and they were fairly popular (that’s not all they were good for they were smart, funny etc. too) and now my friends aren’t the norm of pretty, don’t wear the latest designers and none of them are greek… but they are very spiritual, creative, loyal, respectful, smart and super fun girls! Like I said I won’t lie I’ve been tempted times before to seek out a new circle reminiscent of the old days (gossip girls, girlfriends, and sex and the city will do it to ya) but then I reflect on how grounded and motivated my friends keep me now… I love luxury and style and fashion and power and exclusivity but I also know that too much of those things can bring out the inner #monster…

I know what type of person I am and as I still sketch on the person I want to be I realize it’s not depended upon the tangibility of the people in my inner circle but on the intangible characteristics that they bring to my life. The way I see it there are no rules to cool or popular … I appreciate and love all my friends from the present to the past and the future!

No comments: